Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Lessons from my Newborn

Slow down.  Life is short.
The nights sure feel long.
And sometimes the days feel long, too.
But, the years pass by way too quickly.


When we look at little Kendall, and think of 
when the others were little snuggie babies,
we remember how quickly these moments pass.

I don't want to just enjoy the newborn days of my little Kendall.  
I want to enjoy the young years that all of my kids are in right now.
I know I can never get them back.


I have been pretty much home for the last three weeks.
And, you know what?  I like it.
I want to stay home more often.
Drag the kids around on errands less often.
Besides, I am little afraid of going grocery shopping with all of them right now.
Staying home gives us more time to play together.
It also makes it so much easier for me to do the house work.

I cooked my first complete meal in a while, yesterday for valentine's day.
I had the kitchen cleaned before I started.
I've been working on it this morning.
But, I still have a ways to go.
SO MANY DISHES.
I think I should start embracing the crock pot,
and other 1 pot meals. 


Here's the big decision.
I am "closing" my flower business.
Or, taking a big, long break from it.
I still love flowers & floral arranging & wedding & all.
I'd still love to have an occasional job for friends.
But, I am tired of taking phone calls from strangers (customers).
I don't want to try to make the sale.
And, I don't want to try to grow the business.
My heart is not in it.
Ultimately, the business is not aiding our family toward our goals at this point.
So, I am stopping it for now.

I want to focus.  I've got 4 babies.
Eliminating stress points make life with little ones much better.



We've got walks to take, books to read, neighbors to meet...
We've got character to work on, good habits to learn, friends to love...
We've got work to do on advocating for orphans, loving them 
I still love flowers.  But, we've got other things to do right now.

8 comments:

Stef said...

ahhhh, I loved this post. Embracing this time of life is so key for us! I meet so many older Mamas who tell me they didn't enjoy it, until it was gone. Even now, when we see baby pictures of Ethan I get all teary eyed, because I realize how fast the days are zooming by.
We did a lot of this re-thinking our daily schedule when we moved to WA. It was good to stop and say "what are we doing with all our time? How are we spending it? what are we working towards? where does most of our attention go?" I found I was wasting so much of my time by running from here to there.
Its going to look so different for every family, but I'm happy for you, that you've given up something like your side business, to focus more on family. I will pray God will bless you in that!

Kami said...

Erin, thank you for your continual transparency. I am encouraged by your decision to focus on what is most important. It is my heart to walk with our kids in the same way. Developing character in our children, refines our own, painfully at times.

Jess said...

Erin Congratulations! I know they are terribly late and I am bumbed that I did not send them sooner! To tell the truth I didn't know that little Kendall had arrived. I will not make this about me but I fell on the ice the day she was born and broke my back. I didn't see her birth announcement until tonight! So please forgive the belated excitement and blessings!
She is so precious, as are all of your kiddos! I hope someday I will get to meet them! You are such a good and faithful mother. You bless me often by your words and your honesty. These years are so precious and they do fly by! It is easy to get caught up in the "everyday" and the craziness of five little faces and voices and miss the glories that are the everyday! I love you and miss you! I miss getting to be a mother with you. Stef talked about meeting with others moms in the "trenches" so to speak and I wish I could do that in person! May our gracious Savior bless your precious family.
Love ya, Jess Klier

Erin said...

Jessica! I am so sorry to hear about your back. I am praying for you. Wow! I do wish we were nearer to each other, too. I would love to be able to get together with you! <3
Stef, I get all teary looking at infant photos or when Scott & I talk about it at night, too.
Kami - The refining is painful. So true!!
Miss you all!

Krista said...

Such a good post sister! I sometimes have a hard time with us only having one car, but then realize, it is a blessing to have so much time at home with my kids!

I laughed when you talked about not wanting to deal with strangers, that is my least favorite part about tutoring as well. Talking to someone new on the phone and the "interview".

Stephanie said...

Newborns do have a way of bringing new perspective, don't they?

I'm so happy for you and proud of your decision. It sounds like you're at peace about it...and that is awesome.

P.S. Kendall is super sweet.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Stephanie said...

I forgot to mention that I like "staying in" too.

Also - the crock-pot is my friend. :)

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Erin said...

Jessica! I am so sorry to hear about your back. I am praying for you. Wow! I do wish we were nearer to each other, too. I would love to be able to get together with you! <3
Stef, I get all teary looking at infant photos or when Scott & I talk about it at night, too.
Kami - The refining is painful. So true!!
Miss you all!