Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Of Knights & Fair Ladies & some Dragons


Peyton turned 3 a few weeks ago.  

I neglected to post photos back then.  But he did get a celebration.  



Morning - Balloons & Donuts





Peyton got loads of cool gifts.  



He wanted a chocolate cake with "white" on the outside, colored blue. 
(Frosting is just called "white" by my kids.  Strange, I know.)


Scott & I made this Knight set for him.  
It was totally fun to plan & create this together.
Scott was the designer of the whole thing.
The only thing I was, was the seamstress,
(& the sounding board for ideas).



The sword is made with a wooden curtain rod finial 
+ a long dowel wrapped with high density foam.
Then the seamstress (me) sewed some felt to fit over the padding.


I sewed the Surcoat from felt.
I determined how to cut the front & back by laying it over a t-shirt
& sized it thusly.



The Stallion was designed & cut by the Daddy.  
I hand-stitched it on.


The shield was entirely Scott's work.  
He was inspired for the entire project by a fiberglass platter 
that Peyton was using for a shield.
Scott took that platter & made it into a "real" shield, 
with a cool paint job
& a handle & arm strap bolted onto the back.
I love the way it turned out!

We needed a brave knight around here.


Vicious, no?


A fair lady.


A rather harmless dragon.




9 comments:

Stef said...

looks like a fun birthday! I love the gift you and Scott made for him. If he keeps it for always it will someday be a cool gift to pass down to his boy.
We rarely have toys that "make-it" longer than a few years, but since you made it sturdy, you never know!

Love said...

so fun!! your kids are precious, erin! =)

Unknown said...

I love his name. That looks like a pretty much PERFECT day! I just saw a comment you left on Love's blog about HIV and I wanted to come over and meet you.

Jessica Griz said...

So fun! I love the costume. My mom always did crazy fun themes for our birthdays growing up, I am trying to keep the tradition going. We have a four year old birthday coming up in two weeks. Gotta get planning ;)

Stephanie said...

What a fun celebration! That knight costume is impressive.

Where did you buy the donuts?

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net

Janelle said...

Adorable Knight suit! You did a wonderful job! I tried to sew felt the other day, it was an utter mess. Your work is brilliant!

Erin said...

Janelle - maybe it had to do with the quality of your felt? And not something you were doing? Felt varies a lot in thickness & it makes a big difference!
Thanks Stef! I'm not sure if our toys will last that long. :)
Thanks for coming by, Love!
Good to meet you, Life with Kaishon! Thanks for coming by.
Jess, I have dreams of crazy fun parties, but never have put one on! I can't wait to see what you do.
Stephanie, the donuts are from a local family-run spot, Top Donuts. The couple who own it are so personable. We love it!

Janelle said...

Adorable Knight suit! You did a wonderful job! I tried to sew felt the other day, it was an utter mess. Your work is brilliant!

love said...

so fun!! your kids are precious, erin! =)