Thursday, April 5, 2012

Things I Love About Dating my Kids {Knowing}

In our little family we have a established a habit of parent-child dates.
It is fairly new for us.  As a regular deal, we've been doing it for
maybe the last 3 or 4 months.
Our kids love it, I know.
But, here is why I love dating.

I love the focus, the lack of distractions.
It gives me a space to really just enjoy who they are.
On our outing, I look at all those sweet,
maybe "childish" things that they do & smile.

My Moira dancing & singing in the produce section of the grocery store is delightful
when it is just us.
If I have the whole gang, I have to ask her to stay close, hold onto the cart,
so she doesn't get separated.



Gillian can talk & talk & talk & talk to me
without the concerns of no one else getting a turn to talk.
When we are on a date, it is just us.




When Peyton & I are out together, I can tune into his quiet & subtle sense of humor.
I can take notice of it all because it is just me & him.




I know I need these times to know them well as individuals & build connections.
I love knowing my kids through parent-child dates.

**Exploring the knowing of our children in a little blog series.  
Post number one is here.


(The Daddy & I take turns through the rotation of the 3 big kids.  He doesn't take the camera with him though...
He needs to figure that one out.  Embrace the Camera!)











5 comments:

Stef said...

I love this! Jason does this FAR more than I do and I know I need to get better at it. Especially me taking Ethan out - he loves to go out on dates w/me and I know I need to make it a priority more often.

Such cute pictures!!

Nicola said...

I love this post. What adorable pictures you got of your children. I really would like to do something like this. I'd love to have a little one-on-one time with the girls.

Angela King said...

love this! we've been trying to do the same thing. it's nice. very nice. :)

Anonymous said...

doing this this week before a mama/papa holiday. wanting to make sure they each know they are loved even when we take time out to date each other!

Stephanie said...

You've definitely inspired me in this area! We have yet to implement this practice, but I think our girls would love it!

That said, we may need to wait a bit b/c now I have a nursing newborn and won't be able to leave her.

stephanie@metropolitanmama.net